Saturday, September 6, 2014

Surf Champ: flipper fixed, plastic fixed

Surf Champ is coming together nicely!

Finally got an A-5141 coil and soldered it in as a replacement for this on the left flipper:

Check that out on the Pinball Medic Coil Chart:  A-20095 is referred to as a Gottlieb Super Flipper.  Pull in ohms of 1.55, but HOLD ohms of 35.5!

A-5141, the factory default, has a 1.7 pull ohms and a hold ohms of just 6 ohms.

So this 20095 is NOT for this kind of machine.  I wonder if it was put in just because of the slang name for it?
Since the 20095 coil had a 6x higher ohms, it couldn't hold the ball, so when it tried to catch it, the flipper would depress until the EOS switch opened up, activating the PULL ohms, with strong strength, thus causing an annoying flutter.  And a total inability to hold the ball.

Now it plays great!  Yaaaay!


The game also had one broken plastic, up near the drops.  I took it out and it was quite warped, so I flattened it using my oven technique.  I then superglued it together, then coated the back with a low-tack plastic sheet.
When putting it back on I also used lexan washers on all posts to minimize future ball impact.

looking good!


All that's left?  Well I was just reminded there is no tilt attached in the game.  Like, not even a snipped wire as you might normally find.  So I should probably try and rewire that up.
Also the final ball (BX) relay does not seem to be snapping on right now, so I will look to clean/adjust that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment